Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Certified or Certifiable?

Got the Rubella test and a check-up this week - all systems go. Had many interesting questions from the GP, though. "Why do you want to have another?" "Your children are going to be spaced pretty far apart; are the older kids OK with the possibility of a baby in the house?" "Why have you waited so long?"

Great questions, don't get me wrong. I was just fascinated that the doctor I go to for all my run-of-the-mill ailments and physicals would ask. There were a few more inquiries like these, and I answered honestly (why wouldn't I?). When we were about to head over to the lab for my blood work, I asked her a question: "What's with the inquisition?"

Now, if you're following me, you probably can guess the tone I used when asking the above. I genuinely wanted to know, but I said it in a mocking manner. Dr. Tran (which is pronounced Tron - how cool is that?) turns and smiles, and then she replies, "We like to make sure our patients are mentally stable before making this decision. It's a big deal."

"Gee," I said. "I sure hope I passed!"

"Of course you did. I wouldn't be drawing your blood in a matter of minutes if you didn't."

Phew.

So, with all the craziness of two snow days, a brand new student teacher, and basketball games I had to go to this week, the baby making plans got a little sidetracked. I only now have to pick up my results, drop off or mail Brian's medical release forms with his doctor, and send in or fax all our forms to RRC. That was supposed to happen this past week, but fortunately, my doc and Brian's doc are both open Monday, and we don't have school. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day will be a busy one for me, it appears.

All this planning, all this paperwork, has left me pensive this week. Not doubtful by any means, but thoughtful. I've been trying to picture our lives in this house with a new baby. Dr. Tran's questions added to this reflective period, too.

The boys are excited at the prospect of having another brother or sister. They're both wishing for a sister; and I've made it no secret that I am as well. Brian jokes that he has no desire to have a little girl, although I think he'd be over the moon with a daughter. But what will our family be like with another little one? Logistically, we'd have to do some rearranging and shuffling of rooms in our house. That's doable.

I have a sitter already lined up, too. She's just waiting for the word.

Sleepless nights? 3am feedings? Diapers galore? Just a stage. The time passes all too quickly.

Childhood illnesses? Kindergarten? Braces on a third kid? Bring it on.

If anything, I am more prepared to face the unpredictability and the predictability of another child in our home than ever. There's nothing, not one single thing in the universe, that I cherish more than the milestones, big and small, of a child.

I may be crazy in the eyes of some friends and family, but apparently I am sane on paper. 

1 comment:

  1. Ghostbuster One liner of the Week:
    Dr. Venkman(Me): I don't think you're crazy.
    (Dana) I.E. YOU: Oh that makes me feel so much better. (Sarcastically)

    Sounds like you're on the right track ma'am. Best of luck on that. Better start moving around the rooms now...haha.

    ReplyDelete